Well as many of you have heard I came down with that H1N1 business. Lucky for me I got Tamiflu and I am well on my way to healthville. The Dr. asked that I stay at home for 5 days which is in fact more time than I have probably been home this year, so I have really had the chance to catch up on sleep, TV, and internet. Formal internet love to all who have sent well wishes. I told Robert I thought I still looked pretty sick. He said "No actually, you don't look bad, you just look like Northwestern Grad school Christine, you know when you slept 2 hours a night wore the same clothing for 2 days, and didn't leave the house all weekend because you were studying." So to put that another way... "Grad school made me look like I had swine flu???"
That for sure gave some nice scary imagery in time for Halloween! In honor of this Swine Flu event we will likely carve a pig on our Halloween pumpkin....
Since Halloween is approaching I felt I should keep the blog themed. Should you care about the little life related updates, call, email, or complain on the blog comment and I will give the readers what they want!
So since I have been home watching TV there is a certain Dove commercial that seems to be very Halloween friendly. I find it to be a little scary. I wonder if any of you have seen it. The commercial is to the tune of "Do your ears hang low?" Here is the link http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Dove+Walmart&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#
Now where to start... let's get the lyrics in print in case you too were charmed by the tune and could not fully soak in the lyrics.
"Do your eyes sit wide
Does your nose turn to the side
Do your elbows kind of crinkle
Do your knees sort of wrinkle
Does your chest tend to freckle
Do you have a crooked smile
Do your eyes sit wide
Do your ears sort of wiggle
Does your hair make you giggle
Does your neck grow long
Do your hips sing a song
Do your ears hang low."
Is it just me, or did that commercial just not put you in the mood to go buy some Dove products? MY INTERPRETATION: "Dove is for the lady who has mutant features, and can't use other beauty products," or "If you use Dove, you will look like a mutant, if you don't already."
OK so I am all for that natural beauty thing, and fully see the argument that society has made us think that we need to be skinny lil' toothpick things that look like models to be "pretty," but I think Dove has taken their "true beauty " thing too far with this ad. See, if the argument is that we are all pretty and we don't need any product to change us, except Dove products of course, then wouldn't it just be best to associate Dove with total beauty and not perceived "flaws." Every girl has unique features, and yes Dove, I do agree that each of us is beautiful as God created us each as individual gifts from him..... HOWEVER, I am pretty sure none of us wants the product that claims to show off that little thing we are not too excited about you know like "a nose that runs to the side" or your "wide set eyes" That's what makes us human.... we are flawed, and we are always going to be looking for something that shows our perceived best, and on this end I don't really ask for much. I simply prefer to look human, and not like a member of the X-MEN.... so looks like there will be no Dove in my future.
OK sorry for the ramble more normal stuff later.
RED
Agreed! I find that commercial annoying.
ReplyDeleteGlad you have recovered from the pig flu!! I hope Ralphie was a good sleep/TV watching/internet surfing companion. It's a tough job but I'm sure he was up to the napping challenge :-)